There has always been a lot written and said about how to memorialize pets when they have passed. This article focuses on the present and on how to really enjoy time with your pets, and in doing so create lasting memories. It is in the process of creating these memories that you will build lasting relationships and strong bonds with your pets that can improve other areas of your life.
Pets are and can be a major part of the family
More than 90% of pet owners see their pets as part of the family and for many of these people the pet is closer to them than members of their own family.
Pets are smart, protective and have been proven to suffer from separation anxiety, and these traits make it easy to form long lasting relationships with them. For many this leads to lifelong companionship with their pet. There are a lot of reasons to have a pet and include them in the family and these include:
Children with pets show a higher level of empathy and self-esteem, while stress can be reduced in pets’ owners. There is also a marked increase in physical activity for those with pets that are taken out on walks. Lastly, there is a great deal of fun and enjoyment that comes with having and caring for a pet. The reasons are thus numerous and varied, but the evidence points to the fact that viewing your pets as part of the family is a natural and healthy process.
- Include your pets in family outings and occasions as this is one of the best ways to ensure that you spend time with them. Always find out from the host or accommodation if you can take your pets and let them know what the pets are.
- Just as you would, for, and with family members, it is important to create and record memories by doing things that you and your pet enjoy. A Crystal Impressions 3D photo crystal is a great way to memorialize these activities and photographs forever.
- Pet portraits are another great way to have a living memory of your pet. Just as you would with family members, keep a record of their growth and development and include this in a memory book where you can record where you got the pet, the notable dates in your relationship with them, and the places you’ve been.
- Ensure that you have pet health insurance because an injury or health issue can be as expensive as taking care of yourself. So, having pet health insurance will go a long way to creating peace of mind when it comes to your pets health and wellbeing.
- Be consistent and offer rewards.
Building memories with a pet is essentially one of the main reasons for the relationship itself and those who do this find great joy in the process. Furthermore, evidence suggests that attachment to pets is good for human health.